View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
kovid - I'm 99% sure the issue includes the trailing byte sequence following each HTML record. I have been unable to fully decode it because Kindlegen seems to insert (in an apparently inconsistent way) some arbitrary bytes in some of the sequences and I haven't been able to determine what the logic is. However, if you take a Kindlegen-generated document (which works properly on Kindle in Sections & Articles view) and zero out the trailing byte sequences, the document still displays properly on Kindle except now it exhibits the impaired 'back' function in the Sections & Articles view. So the trailing byte sequences are definately part of the puzzle.

On the other hand, if you look at Amazon generated periodicals (e.g. the New York Times) the trailing byte sequences are consistent and reflect the changes I made to the MOBI code a few months ago (and forwarded to you). However, in those files the NCX entries have additional data bytes that I cannot decode, but may be associated with the issue.

This suggests Amazon is NOT using Kindlegen to format periodicals (not surprising, actually because Kindlegen is a piece of cr*p).
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote