View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Replacement for my 505

It's come to my attention that my prs-505 is getting old: the page turn buttons are starting to loosen and I think it's time to consider getting a back-up ereader for when my 505 kicks the bucket. I'm not aware of all the products on the market, but I'm not impressed by the ereaders I know about. There seem to be a bad batch to choose from.
I have a certain loyalty to the Sony brand purely because my 505 has been so perfect, apart from the difficulty in changing the battery, which I couldn't have done without the help of a friendly techie.
Bottom of the list are Kindles: I hate the idea of being tied into the Amazon model. I'm also fighting the notion that 'Kindle' is becoming like 'Hoover': an synonym for the device.

What I want from a reader:
6" Eink device
dedicated ereader
support for a wide range of formats including epub and rtf
buttons
SD card slot
long battery life (an easily changed one would be great)
reliability
good after sales care

What I don't care about:
wifi (I prefer sideloading)
internet browsing

What I don't want:
colour
integrated screen lighting
touch-screen only (no buttons)

A reader which comes with a cover, as the old Sony's used to, would be a bonus, but I'm prepared to buy these separately.

I'm not in any hurry at the moment, just running ideas through my mind, but sometime during this year I will probably have to purchase a new one BEFORE my old one bites the dust.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote