View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #52
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I am not sure what Bowerbird's point is, but the idea that self-publishing - now made cheaper by etext - will "liberate" us is crazy. All kinds of garbage is submitted to publishers today, and they save us the trouble of wading through it by refusing to publish. Self-publishing, however, means that there will be no publisher (or, very likely, editor) and we will all be swimming in the unreadable. I don't look forward to this at all. Self-publishing is a dangerous trap: authors are too often terrible judges of what they write. You all talk about publishers as if all they did was print and bind. Just wait for all that self-published text, you'll live to regret it.
The way I say see it, people will always regard self-published works as unprestigious, simply because everybody can do it. So that balances it out in the end.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote