View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm glad everyone is in accord on the writing. It really was beautiful and has convinced me to read more of her works.

I particularly liked this comment from Synamon:

Quote:
The story perfectly captured the atmosphere of misery and the feeling of being trapped. All three characters were restrained by circumstance and couldn't escape, almost like being buried alive.
It was like every decision was going to be a bad decision for Ethan and neither of the other characters had any better choices.

First read through, I was quite shocked by the reveal at the end. At no time could I picture Mattie becoming such a horrible burden on Ethan and then it was laid bare for me while allowing me to see Zeena in a different light.

But what interested me was that Zeena's elevation towards the end is a false dawn. Remove Mattie from the situation and she would again return to being the bitter hypochondriac she was before.

There really was no hope for Ethan.

I have to agree with Orlok too. I knew a bad ending was a foregone conclusion, but that didn't stop me from "...shouting (in my mind) for him to just do it, to run away with Mattie and let the chips fall where they may."

I'm very glad this book was selected for our read this month.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote