Thread: Reader privacy
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
My firewall does. I'm using ZoneAlarm. I have it set to authorize only certain apps to phone home. All others need my permission. The chances of something getting out past that is somewhere between fat and slim. Add Spybot S&D's Teatimer and Avast AV, I very rarely find any malware with my weekly AV and malware scans. I also use Secunia PSI to make sure all my software is up to date. That is one heckuva a lot better than an e-Book's unsecured connection.
So if an application you thought was trustworthy started calling sending your private data, it would get through. That is the point I'm trying to make here. We choose to allow applications access to our networks because we have some amount of confidence in the companies behind them. In the case of something which installs a rootkit, like Sony did on some of their media disks a few years ago, the firewall is irrelevant. The rootkit runs at the highest level of permissions and hides its presence from you.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote