View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #61
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't be impolite; I have checked it out and have told you before that I think it's a very good idea. I do intend to start using it myself once I've completed my current round of book updates. I have fairly long-term plans when it comes to book creation and don't just "drop everything" to incorporate new things, no matter how good they are.
I think what you told me is it's a good idea, and it'll crash the cybook! Then you didn't use it or discuss it further. I'm pretty sure that's how it went. And that was before anyone had downloaded the tester file at all. So clearly, you had not tested it at that time.

It's not "dropping everything" to add items to the guide while you're making a book. It'd be more like: making the book.

Here's the thing Harry: I don't care if you use it or not. It's a good idea, and you claim to want to make better books, so I thought you might be receptive. But I don't really care if you use it or not.

I would like you to stop saying things, that people may believe you know what you're talking about, when it's pretty clear that you don't. Anyone who's looked at the tester file knows it includes a linked list of the books in it. There's no reason to imply I said that should not be included. As long as you say or imply things about my suggestion, which people may believe, that are not true, I'm going to correct you. If that's impolite in your opinion then I'm sorry. I would gain far more respect for you if you checked out the idea and gave it some serious consideration, and stopped making up things to make it look bad.

Just because you don't want to use my suggestion doesn't mean nobody else should. And I want them to know that.

Anyone is welcome to use the suggestion. It's a good idea. There's no reason to have long, clunky, navigation when it's easy to have faster easier navigation. And you are not obligated to make your books Harry's way. Make them the way YOU like them.

If/when I make a multi-book file, I will incorporate the faster navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iLiad has a number of fixed navigation icons - table of contents, first page of the book, etc, rather than using a menu. These icons are activated by the standard Guide entries, "TOC", etc. It currently has no provision for displaying additional Guide entries.

Well, if the icons are "activated by the standard guide entries" including toc, then it seems to me that my toc guide entries would show on it. I wish I could get my hands on one to test it, but I can't.

-> Anyone with an Iliad, I would love if you'd download my tester file and test it on your iliad and let me know if the toc items I've added show up for you. Matter of fact, maybe you can download one of my other books and tell me if my link to "eBook Credits" is showing up for you. It'd be much appreciated.
Here is "The Loss of the SS Titanic":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...346#post138346
This post explains the idea, and a tester file is two posts down:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...397#post137397

Even if the guide items don't show on the iliad, in no way does that make my suggestion bad, it just means that those with an iliad won't benefit from it.

In that case, it would definitely create faster and easier navigation to place your toc as the very first or very last item in the book, allowing one click access (a feature already incorporated into my formatted books). The way you are putting your toc third, fourth, fifth in the book, with no guide item, requires a person to go hunting for the darn thing every single time they want to use it. Then, in your multi book files, you're linking to title pages, with each book's toc another several pages in. There is definite room for improvement.

Put your main toc as the very first or very last page of the file, for fast access. In multi-book files, link to the TOC, not the title page. Add a link to the title page to the toc for those who wish to go there.

So there you go, another good suggestion for speeding navigation. To be used alone or in conjunction with my first shared idea. It would be an improvement to nearly every book posted in this forum.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-17-2008 at 05:16 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote