View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #1615
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes...

This is the model we are looking at. Specifically, because it addressed some of what mgmueller talked about (the keyboard-on-hands issue), the various "shapes," and the heft of the larger unit (I need an actual screen I can work on).

I don't surf videos, don't play games (I know, I know--kick me outta MR); I simply work. I run 3 different SAS programs in my business (Desk, Teamworks and Freshbooks) and need to receive/send emails, respond to customer comments, mark off milestones, send invoices. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so for me, the SP2 is just a little bit on the smallish side. I've never (yes, get ready to laugh) become accustomed to typing in my lap.

I want something I can use at night, plopped in front of the tv with my husband, or whatever, on those nights when I really need to do, say, another hour's worth of work, but have "left the office," so to speak. I don't intend to use it as a full-time device, as Harry does (Harry: I've seen you speak highly of the SP, thank you for your input).

My existing Lonovo with XP has now lasted 10+ years. Honestly, I gotta figure I've gotten very good value from it. One of the reasons we gravitated to the new Yoga is because it can be repaired and maintained (batteries, etc.) which the SP can't. (And I do like the stylus). BUT...still making up our minds.

mg: not buying blind...just asking for feedback from the gang here.

Hitch
From all you describe, touchscreen doesn't seem that important?
Like I wrote: I mainly use it myself on the 8" Windows 8 tablets. Those I most of the time use without keyboard. When using Surface Pro 3 or any other Windows 8 device >10", I normally use a keyboard. Either the detachable one from Microsoft or a bluetooth solution. But then, when having a keyboard, I barely use the touchscreen.
That's the main reason, why I've sold my Google Chromebook Pixel. Beautiful machine. But I simply didn't find any usage pattern for the touchscreen. Even when surfing the web, I'd rather use the touchpad than lean over and use the touchscreen.

So maybe a Windows 8 notebook (since you replace another notebook anyway) would be enough? Significantly would broaden your horizon.

And don't underestimate: The bulk and weight of Surface Pro 3, same certainly for the Lenovo and similar devices, is quite significant. I admire Microsoft, how thin they have made it. But I even found iPad 3 to heavy and bulky to hold for extended periods of time. Even more so the devices in question.
Meaning: I barely use Windows 8 tablets >10" actually as tablets, but almost exclusively as notebooks.

Why did I buy Surface Pro 3 then, instead of a "real" notebook?
First of all, I didn't like the alternatives. The Asus I saw was a bad copy of my MacBook Air.
Second of all, I had to buy the newest breed, of course.
But I didn't really look for an exclusive work tool. It's always about the fun factor for me as well.
But strictly focusing on work, there certainly are great Windows 8 notebooks. And they even are cheaper than the hybrids and the likes.

BTW: You briefly mention the pen on SP3. Absolutely great. Very positive surprise. I really struggled on Surface Pro 2. It wasn't a real problem, in the center of the screen it was highly accurate and off only in the corners. But it still did annoy me. Not because it was an actual problem. But because I knew, they inaccuracy was there. I've tried all the tips from XDA, but to little avail. And then came Surface Pro 3. Wow! Many stated "Yikes, it's not WACOM any longer". I only can say, it's perfectly accurate now, even in the corners.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote