View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #63
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Have you considered to have something like X11 interface? - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436
KPV started on the K3, where there's no X11. So much for the history - and I might add to that that I don't particularly like X11 as an API, find it somewhat over-designed especially for the context of low-resource embedded devices (as the Kindles are).

Yes, I'm a bit opinionated about that.

That bit about being over-designed is even more true for Qt, which is used by the reading app mentioned. I just don't trust it enough. That's where my like for C shines through, and my dislike for C++ (especially for the wrangled C++ of Qt).

All of this is personal opinion, however, not necessarily shared by all developers. But KOReader fills a niche, I think.

PS/Addendum: X11 isn't user-friendly at all. You're probably talking about Qt, but that's a resource hog. There's nothing stopping KOReader from getting more user-friendly with its current UI scheme.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote