View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This is what happens when you don't have an open beta.

If Kobo had an open beta, or let you specify that you wanted the latest firmware, the automatic processes would deal with the installation of the firmware, rather than having people sideload firmware.

There should be nothing in the 'japan' releases that harms any device, worldwide. Hopefully Kobo has learned the lesson from the Australian Touches and is handling the regionalisation of the devices outside of the devices. After all, Kobo should know from the serial number where the device was distributed to.

And, why should the Japanese devices get the latest bug fix release, but not the rest of the world?
Sorry to disagree but I've been in open betas for various bits of software. My experience is that those open betas didn't add much in the way of improvements over closed betas.

As for the Japanese bug fix release, it may be fixing a bug that only affects Japanese ebooks where a yokogaki (left to right, top to bottom) book was fine but a tategaki (top to bottom, right to left) book had issues. A show stopper if you are reading tategaki books but a non-issue for the rest of world.

Take a look at Microsoft's hot fixes for a shopping list of "don't apply this hot fix unless you are experiencing the problem" items. Going back a lot of years, I remember filing an APAR for a bug in Lotus 1-2-3 that only showed up when you used a odd resolution on a Hercules graphics card equipped PC. Of course, the accounting department had to use that resolution for reasons that escaped me at the time and still do.

I would prefer if Kobo had more beta testers who operated their readers in less than standard ways. Someone like myself who tends to do as much as possible formatting on the computer and leaves the reader controls alone is not a great candidate for finding many of the bugs that come out when the reader controls are played with. The type of user who like using different fonts, margin widths, etc.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-01-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fat fingered typos -- what else is old.