View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
How good is Epub -> Mobi conversion really?

I'm suffering a little from buyers remorse after seeing the new Kindle.

I just ordered (yesterday, believe it or not!) a Nook (and a cool Oberon cover to go with it). I decided on the Nook because it ticked a lot of the boxes I had as a list of requirements but primarily because it supports the ePub format and I didn't want to be tied to the propriety Mobi format on the Kindle.

But now, after seeing the new Kindle with it's small form factor, new pearl screen and extended battery life, I have to say that I'm wondering if made a mistake and I should get one of them instead. But how good is the ePub to Mobi conversion in Calibre really? Does it ever fail or mess up the formatting badly often/sometimes/never?

As far as I can tell, the new Kindle is supported quite well in Norway now so it won't be an issue for new book purchases but I have a lot of ePub books and if they couldn't be converted properly it'd be very annoying to say the least.

Last edited by AdrianM; 07-29-2010 at 04:33 AM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote