Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Are you turning it off (not just sleep mode), and is the wifi turned off. You need to do both these things to maximise battery life.
I'm putting it in sleep mode, not turning off. And of course the battery should last longer by switching the device off instead of putting it in sleep mode, but that depends on how often the device is used (switched on and off again) etc. Regardless, leaving it in sleep mode should not cause the battery to drain so quickly is 1% an hour... Or... as it happens, over night that 1% changed to 2.8% drop per hour! That's only just over ONE FULL DAY of standby time. Unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
you asked if it could be the kepub ... two things to consider. one is how big a file it is. the few times i've had strange battery draw, it's been due to the book i was reading being a large file.

second, when you put it to sleep do you leave the book where you left off, or do you return to the home screen? that might make a difference.
1: Good point. The kepub in itself isn't really that big (just a regular book, maybe slightly larger than normal I have no idea because I can't see the total page numbers anywhere "Absolute power" by David Baldacci)... but the chapter markers aren't all in place. The result is that the first chapter is supposedly 15 or so chapters long. I recall that the kobo devices load entire chapters into their cache to be able to page turn quickly... well, my first "chapter" is over 200 pages, so having all that in cache could well cause battery drain, no?

2: Also a good point. I leave the book on its page and do not go back to the home screen. For long chapters that would indeed make a difference. But still, on my Touch I would never go back to the home page when reading a book and always had lovely battery usage time. So only in the case of this book with a ridiculously large first chapter might this make a real big difference.

In any case, I've now deleted this kepub and put the epub version on my device. I'm not completely sure but I don't think epub chapters get loaded into cache so that should also help. Testing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Do you have a SD card in it? That will use more power. I download 2 papers a day via wifi, use the light always on when reading and rarely turn the device off (sleep it when not in use) and likely 2-3 hours reading a day. I can easily get a week out of it. The meter is somewhat wonky. I find it drops in big jumps when using the wifi in the upper 1/2 of the meter, but I don't think it is really using that. Seems to be slower dropping in bottom 1/2 of the meter.
Nope, no uSD card.
Sounds like you get much better battery usage than I do... still weird meter behaviour though. Have you done a complete empty to completely full charge cycle to calibrate the battery gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My experience is that I am going about 17 days between recharges on my Glo. In that period, I use the light at one step from minimum for about 8-10 hours. WiFi is kept off unless I am doing a sync. I seldom power off the reader preferring the most or less instant on of sleep. All my books (other than kepubs) reside on a uSD card.

These times are up from the times I saw when using the Touch by about 20%.

As usual, YMMV.

Regards,
David
Now that sounds like that kind of usage that is desirable! Okay, thanks for that, now I know what to aim for and when to ask for a replacement.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote