View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #34695
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
OK - I've completely lost my marbles .... I can't believe what I just did ....

Long time MR lounge participants know that I have a near crippling arachnophobia! Even photos of spiders posted here have set me running for the spoiler tags (after my heart rate dropped below 100) ... so

We never use our front door ... there is a small porch with an overhead light ... which at this time of year becomes spider heaven. We only use the back door - which opens onto the driveway. The only people that come to the front door are unwanted visitors (Jehovah's witnesses, salesmen, etc.) ... and the UPS man.

So, this year a huge orb weaver spider (I'm sorry - I just can't post a photo) took up residence - and spun a huge web that completely spans the entrance to the porch - and hangs there trapping flying insects that are attracted to the porch light. My first reaction? Get out the broom & bug spray - EXTERMINATE! But I got sick and couldn't go outside. And began to watch her.

She's gorgeous! Typical black & yellow body markings. Beautiful zig-zag web! Yes reader, I named her. Emily.

Then last night I looked out - and the web was gone! No Emily! No web! I was frantic! Just on my way to bed I peeked out the side light - and there she was spinning a new web! Amazing! I don't know how long I stood there watching. But she's back now!

Tonight I realized I had a UPS delivery expected this week! Oh no! I can't let him hurt Emily -- or destroy the web. And he's too lazy to walk 10 feet around to the back of the house. He might kill her and think he's protecting us!

So .... I got a roll of "Caution Wet Paint" tape and taped over the front of the porch - leaving room for Emily of course! It is now physically impossible to climb onto the porch. He'll have to leave the box on the steps.

I'm protecting something that scares the beejeesus out of me! If I had touched the web whilst stringing up the Caution tape I would have had a coronary! Sigh ....

[I'm leaving the tape up until Halloween is over. With my luck, she will incorporate it into the web and I'll be stuck with it until she lays her egg sac and dies off at the end of fall. I'll probably be in tears then!]

I'm a big softie ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote