View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
For something to carry in a purse, you might consider a PDA. Software is available to read secure eReader (but Barnes & Noble eReader availability is more limited--check the website), and mobipocket so you can have a choice of a wide variety of books. The reading experience is about that of a magazine column. I still use my Tungsten E--the screen is fairly wide and clear, and it fits easily in my shirt pocket. It's ideal for reading in situations where I don't want to carry a book or a larger eReader, for instance a doctor's waiting room.

I haven't done much reading pdf's on an ebook reader. I'll expand my horizons now that I have my Fujitsu slate.

The DRM issues are too varied for me to discuss. All I care about is that many current books are protected by various digital rights management schemes. And it seems to be hard to find a single ereader that will handle all of them. That's one of the reasons I went to my slate.

I think people have had trouble using Calibre to reformat books in a secure format (ie, one with DRM). There are some who have stripped the DRM protection and then converted. I'm somewhat lazy and like the idea of being able to download a book and open it without first running through a conversion process. Of course I often did that in the early days with my Palm because early on the books had to be converted from text to palm doc format using Makedoc.

By the way, the epub books available from Project Gutenberg work fine on the JBL.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote