View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #162
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
In any case it doesn't really matter whether Amazon has the biggest share of the market or simply a very big one. Because adding epub capability won't cause them to sell more books to Kindle owners. It might cause them to sell more Kindles - but that's only a good thing if Kindles have a decent profit margin on them - and we already know they are priced virtually at cost in order to promote sales of books.

And in theory there's nothing to stop them selling epubs alongside Mobi/KF8s for other devices. So if they wanted part of the epub market they could go for it. (I suppose it may be this is seen as anti-competitive but I personally can't see it's any more anti-competitive than having a walled garden in the first place, but I don't know the law well enough to say for sure.)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote