Thread: New words
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've "invented" a word or two, but as mentioned already... they were words for new things in a new world. (I write sci fi / fantasy).

To make up a new word that is a modification of current words, sure I could see that. To make up a new word to explain a current day thing/feeling/etc. I think is a completely different concept. Without a foot note, or extensive context clues, how would the reader know what you are saying? They can not look the word up in the dictionary. Seems like you would end up with a failure to communicate.

And if you have extensive context clues anyways... did you really need the new word?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote