Thread: Touch Embeded Fonts:
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Very educational discussion! All this talk of embedded fonts and Kobo bugs caused me to get off my lazy tush and dig into specs!(horrors!!) Now I have even more questions than when I started!

Embedded fonts are fonts used in the epub file and are NOT resident on the ereader? If an ereader does not display the embedded font this is counted as a bug? If the epub code passes through a checker of some sort it is counted as being well-formed?
1. Are the fonts TrueType or OpenType? I see the epub specs "suggest/recommend" OpenType. Do both types pass the various checkers?
2. I see the font file is declared in the opf manifest and placed in the same directory. Will some ereaders still display the embedded font if it is not done in this manner and will it pass the checkers?

I am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing. I have seen code using the @font-face method then telling CSS to use it in the whole document with the body method. Then it was claimed that because this didn't work on a Kobo the device firmware had a bug. For this to be true wouldn't you have to verify the opf manifest was correct also? I'm not saying this is the case but would it be a "bug" if only OpenType worked?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote