View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #41
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When eBooks were able to be put on sale and the prices were lower, sales took off. For example, Fictionwise in its heyday had a great business model. Agency killed that. BooksOnBoard had a good business model. Agency killed that. I bought a lot of eBooks from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard because I get what I felt was a good deal. Sometimes you are better to sell more for a lower margin and make more money then selling less for more.
And sometimes you don't make Jack and go out of business, which is what happened to Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard. Fictionwise sold itself to B&N back in 2009, before the Agency pricing model was introduced in 2010. The Buywise Club, i.e. Fictionwise's discount business model, was actually discontinued in March 2010.

Getting cheap books is great, except that if it's not a sustainable business model, then it goes out of business. Many companies have found that playing the discount game and the race to the bottom tends to be an unsustainable business model. You are basically trying to survive on a very narrow profit margin, which means anytime there is a down turn, you go belly up. Anyone remember what else happened in 2009? Big economic downturn.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote