View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I played with the internal memory upgrade and have found that I needed to be selective with the SD card I used. I originally tried a Kingston class 10 16GB card but found that my Glo was noticeably slower than the original card.

So I had fun with testing various uSD cards and found the best one I had on hand was a Sandisk class 4 16GB card. Crystal DiskMark said it was much faster (1.81MB/s vs 0.019MB/s)* than the Kingston on small block random writes and 1.5x (3.1MB/s vs 2.03MB/s) faster on small block random reads. With that card, the Kobo is back to what seems to me to be the same speed as the original 2GB card.

* I ran the write test 4 times before I accepted the results. 95x was hard to believe.

Makes sense in a way since the original thread where I ran into the discussion of SD card speeds was installing CyanogenMod 7 on a Nook booting from the external SD card slot.

Regards,
David
Hmm good information. I did some looking and noticed that even though cards may be class 10, there is a long gap between speeds in Class 10 cards. Varying as you suggested to some extremes where the Class 10 cards barely make the min specs. And there are a lot of class 10 cards making high claims in speed but failing to achieve them. That said I am sure the different card readers and devices have certain limitations on them and I am sure the Kobo devices are no different. And to be fair I wonder what specific cards work best for the Kobo. Thanks for your insight btw.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote