View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
So yet again you are singling out the Kobo?
This is the Kobo forum, where we come to discuss the Kobo. I call em as I see em, I don't own any other e-readers so I can't really comment on their pros and cons. I do however own other, similar electronic devices

Quote:
Should I blame Microsoft for shoddy worksmanship and design
Yes. Also, keep in mind this isn't after a few years of intense use, this is after two weeks.

Quote:
How many times do you hit the reset/eject and power buttons of your gaming consoles per minute?
I was referring to the controllers of the game consoles, which get just as much abuse as the Kobo's dpad, if not more.

I've had a Super Nintendo since 1991, and while the console itself is yellowed due to a flaw in the design of the plastics (The chemical used changed color when the console got warm- Nintendo noticed the problem and fixed it in the next revision of the same console), the controller is still perfect. The SNES is my favorite game system and I play it more than the three current gen consoles combined.

EDIT: Here is my collection of SNES controllers. These are over 15-20 years old and I use them a lot:

The controller in the upper right is a Japanese version and they used a darker shade of gray than the US version, that isn't yellowed or anything.

Quote:
If you want a device that lasts longer then Sony are about the best in the ereader world for construction. Aluminium shell and all that.
Oddly enough Sony readers I see in stores always look beat to hell, I don't think they age very well at all. The construction is solid though, as is Kobo's.

This is an aesthetic problem, not a build quality issue- I think Kobo's build quality is wonderful and is in my opinion the most "high quality" feeling ereader next to the Sonys, which are built like tanks but I find them uncomfortable to hold. Kobo's quilted back and smooth plastic front are great, and much nicer than cold metal!

I just wish the d-pad could be made to a higher standard.

EDIT: This really isn't a HUGE issue. It's understandable, it's their first device. I'm not trying to stir up animosity or bash Kobo, I just like bringing up problems I notice and providing feedback so the next generation of devices are even better. Companies value this sort of detailed user feedback, individual experiences vary greatly and can be much more enlightening for designers than lab tests.

Last edited by dos; 10-23-2010 at 12:55 AM.
dos is offline   Reply With Quote