View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is an interesting thread.

I just returned my Kindles since I found them far too fragile. In 3 weeks I had 2 with broken screens and one that would lock up. They're also way too big. Sure, they're thin and light, but they are too tall and wide.

I did, however, like the full-justification font. I find it easy to read. I went to a Chapters store and looked at the Kobo. When I realized that it is left-justification only, I stopped looking at it. I can't read left-justified text; it's just too distracting. It was a deal-breaker for me.

Obviously, it's just personal preference. Why don't manufacturers give a choice? If you find full-justification too hard to read, then why make you read that? If you (like me) can't stand to see text left-justified, then why force it?

Having said that, any thoughts on what I should buy? The Kindle 2 is not for me. Paying $161 every time the screen breaks adds up in a hurry. The last time they wouldn't replace it for that much, I would have had to pay full price. That means a working Kindle cost me $783 over the course of 3 weeks. And, the Kobo, although nice at $149, has terrible text (for my preference). I wouldn't buy it if it were $49, given the text options.

Sony? Nook?
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote