View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by woeger View Post
Any hints or suggestions about making and distributing EPUB files would be greatly appreciated! I have not yet mastered table of contents creation, though I know Atlantis can do it somehow.
It's simplicity itself. Select the text of your chapter title (eg. 'Chapter One'), go to the Format menu, select Style..., click one of the Heading styles and click apply. To get a nested ToC, use Heading one for the top level, Heading two for the second, etc. Every ePub should contain a useful table of contents to allow navigation.

I would highly recommend that you use styles for all parts of your book to ensure consistent presentation. Set a default style and apply it to all the body text. If you need to change something for a particular element, such as setting the first paragraph flush left or setting verse that's indented, create a new style with the right parameters and apply that rather than changing things in an ad hoc manner.

Quote:
I chose not to embed fonts in the EPUB files to keep them smaller, and to avoid any copyright issues on including copyrighted fonts. I used Times New Roman as my default, so most devices will use that or another font that they have, such as the default Palatino font use on iBooks on the iPad.
For anyone who enjoys books that look good, the iPad is a dirty word right now. Maybe Apple will get it right some time in the future.

There are plenty of fonts available that can be freely embedded without worrying about licensing. FontSquirrel is a good place to start, and there are many others mentioned in the threads in this forum.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote