View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #137
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Here is my iPad review. I currently own the Sony 505, the kindle 2, the kindle dx and now the iPad for reference.

The iPad is amazing and exceeds my expectations. I prefer to use it as my personal web browser over my MacBook pro (too large on my lap on the recliner) and my desktop (I only want to sit at my desk when I'm working).

The two best features are the display and the touch UI. I can not describe to you how amazing the display is. You must touch and try this device yourself.

I love using it as a reader and have read several stories on the kindle app. By the way, it bodes well that a new release just came out today for the kindle app which fixed some bugs on the iPad.

I also have found that I love the marvel comics app. I haven't read comics in years, but tried it thinking i wouldn't like it. Well, i found a comic that interested me, Undead Marvel Heroes, and spent about a hour or so, reading the complete series of five episodes. I am addicted. The graphics are so beautiful on the iPad you won't believe it. And reading in the special frame by frame mode is delightful.

The problems.

I am in Vegas right now. I brought it down to the pool to read. In direct daylight it was almost unreadable. It will not replace my kindle for outside reading. There's lots of cases when i like to read outside, so it definitely won't be the only reader i own. It is i think the best reader when I am in the house though.

Also, when by the pool, i started to play a game that had high contrast, implode xl. Within about 10 minutes, the iPad shut down with a overheating warning. It is only 70 outside, but very sunny and the sun warmed it up quick. Forget about using this in the sun. A hour later though i moved to the shade and had a delightful experience with it though.

Overall, i highly recommend it, but it has its limits. I will mostly use it in the house or the hotel room. It's not something like my phone that i will take everywhere. Also, i will keep a kindle around for any outside reading. Therefore, I'll continue to buy books from amazon so i can use it on both devices.

I love my iPad and to take it away from me you'll have to pry it away from my cold, dead hands. By the way, I typed this review on my iPad while on my hotel bed and i am touch-typing on the virtual keyboard. I believe i can type pretty fast on this keyboard and am getting better with more practice. I am just so glad that my typing skills aren't wasted on the device.

Last edited by sfernald; 04-08-2010 at 08:36 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote