View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #50
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
While it is true that eye fatigue when using LCD screens is caused MOSTLY by the three factors that were laid out in the original post and that you can still get eye fatigue using an e-ink device (too small of a font can easily do it), the thing that is more or less left out is that even with the correct use of an LCD screen you are still more LIKELY to develop eye fatigue when looking at an LCD screen than when looking at an e-ink screen.

If you reduce the intensity of the light coming off of an LCD it can become more difficult to see the screen, and while altering the properties of home computers is not only possible, but also a good idea, this is not always the case with work computers, public computers, and other LCD screens.

The fact is that while we are constantly inundated by LCD screens in day to day life some of us prefer to take a break from all of the different light and glare levels and just relax with something that does not have as much possibility of harming the sorely abused muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves used to focus the eyes, and to correct our posture.

Let's also not forget one of the other advantages of e-ink: battery drain is minuscule. I love the fact that I do not have to charge up my device constantly and that if I go a few days without using it that it will still be good to go when I power it on. It was one of the big draws to e-ink devices for me.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 04-07-2010 at 11:15 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote