View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yeah I've mentioned Gentium Book a few times in other subfora, but I don't really use it often as I have commercial fonts that I feel are a little bit superior, most of them Adobe fonts (though I do like some other foundries' works too).

Unfortunately, E-Ink isn't quite good enough to display fonts with sufficient quality to make any choice "ideal". Jenson Pro and Warnock Pro for instance, both of which I really enjoy in print, seem poorly matched to E-Ink, even in their "caption" sizes. They look OK and are readable, but they lose so much detail that it's a bit distracting.

Currently, I'm back on a Garamond kick and am using Garamond Premier Pro in "caption" size, which works fairly well at 9-10pt. You still lose a lot to the display, but there's still enough to make it a good reading font, and it still looks OK on a good screen. After experimenting a bit with Arno, I decided the smtext size is more pleasant, even if less dark/dense, than the caption size. Still gets a little funky smaller than 9.5pt though.

Also check out TypeTogether's Karmina, if you are interested in commercial fonts. With proper leading, it looks quite well-suited to E-Ink (it is designed for low quality print).

I'm attaching a file I threw together with a few samples. Ignore some of the kerning/spacing (like around the dropcaps) as it's really just put together for me to compare what some of the various letterforms look like in different lighting conditions--quite far from a finished piece. It's sized for a 6" 3:4 screen (PRS-505), so should display on similar screens. Font names are at the top of each page.

Edit: OK eliminated a typo and added Gentium Book, Chaparral, and Warnock. You can see what happens when typefaces like Times New Roman and Gentium, which do not support small caps, have to emulate them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paradise Lost 01 (typetest).pdf (669.6 KB, 1505 views)

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-28-2010 at 04:35 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote