Thread: Classic Nook: the positives
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
On the 3 Kindles that I have had (K1, K2, DX-returned) I have neither run out of disk space, nor run out of battery while using it. In fact, looking at my ebook library of about 500 books, most are from .8 to 1.2 MB. Why do people list either (battery/SD card) as selling points?
For SD cards, some of us have larger libraries. I use a Palm OS PDA for ebook reading. I have about 3,860 volumes in several formats spread over two 2GB SD cards, occupying about 1.8GB of total space.

I'm saved by the fact that most (about 3,480) are in Plucker format (an offline HTML viewer for Palm OS), and Plucker can create files using gzip compatible compression, which provides about 70% reduction in size, so the average size of a Plucker book is about 300KB.. Mobipocket, by comparison, uses a form of compression that provides about 40% reduction. Were everything in the larger Mobi format, I'd have to upgrade to larger SD cards

Yes, I'm a pack rat. I like having my entire ebook library available, which means SD card storage.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote