View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Nits aside, I have to agree that when I write things, I seem to do a better job of editing and catching faux pas when I am looking at paper rather than a computer screen. I've never thought about how reading on my Kindle might be a different experience. I certainly feel like I get as much out of the book as I do on paper, but who knows....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
Why do you think that is? I experience the same thing, too. But I cannot explain it. Any ideas?
I don't know if it's the whole reason, but a large part is simply that your brain gets so familiar with the document as you work on it on the computer that you stop reading/seeing details. Format shifting, like printing it out, makes it appear fresh and new. It would probably help your on-screen proofreading if you changed the look of the document; for example two columns instead on one, dark background and light text, a radically different font, etc.

Apart from this, I would guess that we have become used to reading differently on the screen. When I read web pages for example, I skim more than when reading a book, and that habit might carry over.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote