View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Pocket Pro battery problem solved???

I'm not positive yet, but things are looking like my hypothesis might be confirmed. Another couple of days (or weeks?) should tell the tale.

I've been following the thread on folks having problems with their batteries dying in just a day or two (if even that), and many not lasting more than a week. Mine seemed to go from full to one or two bars in just 4-5 days. I got to thinking about this late last week, and it occurred to me that, with so many folks having trouble getting the kind of battery life that the factory says you SHOULD get, that the problem might not be with the unit itself (or its battery), but rather with add-on accessories. What add-on accessories, you might ask?

The SD card.

I suspect that many (most?) SD cards are not designed to go into a 0-power state by themselves, that it would be up to the "host system" to remove power from them, and I further suspect that the PEZ does NOT remove power from the SD card when you "lock the keyboard" (which is what I always do, I never "power down" the unit unless I'm playing with the startup/shutdown screens or updating the firmware). I have a 2 Gbyte SanDisk Ultra II SD card that I've been using from day-1. So, last Thursday, I copied the current book that I'm reading and one other one to the internal memory (hadn't even used the internal memory before, I liked having all of my library on the easily removable/movable SD card), removed the SD card, and plugged in the PEZ and fully charged it up. It was fully charged by 6pm on the 22nd. I took it off the charger at that point. I don't know how many page changes I've done, but I've read 6 chapters since then, and the last chapter I read was 37 page changes, so roughly 250 page changes, plus another 50 or so doing some counting/testing, so let's say 300 page changes and 3 days later, and still 4 bars. At this point, from previous experience with the SD card in, I'd really expect it to have dropped at least one bar if not two.

So, it's still too early to say for sure, but it would be interesting to know how many of those folks who are having terrible battery life have an SD card in their machine all the time (and what brand/type it is), and how many of those folks who are getting a couple of weeks or more out of a single charge do or don't have an SD card in their machine (and if they do, what brand/type it is).

I'll post an update in a few more days, as my test progresses...
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote