View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I scanned in my library of Banana Yoshimoto novels (Japanese author unavailable in ebook format).

It all depends on the OCR software you use. I did the Yoshimoto on Windows 7 using ABBYY Fine Reader 9.0 to do the scanning (directly to HTML which is the best format for archiving). I then took the HTML and converted to ePub in Calibre (free here on MR and programmed by the awesome Kovid Goyal). Recently I've been using Sigil (found here on MR again) to tidy up any obvious mistakes in the ePubs (Sigil edits epub directly).

Using Abbyy Finereader the recognition is very very good and is adjustable. The process was quite slow on my scanner (two pages maximum at a time) but worth it in the end. Took me about three or four hours to scan and do any corrections as I went for each novel (dependent on length).

I tried Readiris on the Mac but it wasn't great, and as yet I haven't found a great solution on Linux (if someone knows of one, please let me know).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote