View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #66
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauwhe View Post
ePub fully supports CSS 2.1 and I think almost all of XHTML. Mobi/AZW's CSS support is, what's the polite word, terrible. No support for float, almost all the box model fails, etc.
i'm no expert, but from reading the OPS standard, it seems epub supports only CSS 2.0, not full 2.1. from the standard:

Quote:
This specification defines a style language based on CSS 2. (Note that the CSS 2.1 specification is currently still at "Working Draft" status.)
furthermore, to quote the standard "...not all CSS 2 properties are included." there's a required subset of CSS properties that must be supported by epub reading systems.

I'm reading this at http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0...l#Section1.3.5

anyway... one thought that occurred to me while reading this thread is: why would epub be difficult or "computationally expensive" for any portable device that isn't ancient? epub is simply xhtml and css--the same as any webpage. however, because epub doesn't have javascript, flash, or nearly as many images as a webpage, i would imagine it would render faster than a webpage. also, smartphones and such--portable devices--can display webpages just fine, including reflowable and resizable text on a variety of screen sizes (and sizes of browser windows). so why would an epub be any different?

extending that thought... why is creating an epub reading system so difficult? epub files are basically just simple webpages of text. any reader just has to use a copy of webkit or gecko or some other open-source renderer to make an epub reading system that supports far more advanced things than are required by the epub specs. reading systems may perhaps simply need to add a few "hacks" to create reader-specific thing, perhaps something related to pagination or whatnot.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote