View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I dislike this law, for the fact that you're responsible for everything that gets downloaded via your connection. A few years back, had someone break the encryption on my router, since we had one of the only broadband connections at the time. (DSL wasn't an option till about a year ago, and cable still isn't available, leaving more expensive options like Satellite.) When it happened, WPA wasn't widespread yet, leaving my only option as WEP. I did have encryption enabled, passphrases were fairly complex, but as anyone who does security knows WEP isn't all that great. If you know what you're doing, with the right tools, you can crack it in a few hours. Long story short, one of the neighbors was wardriving and got in and was using my connection to grab all sorts of stuff. Next day I get a call from my ISP reporting high and unusual usage. I then had too go in and reduce number of available IPs to just the number of machines I normally had on, have a MAC address whitelist, etc.

Under La Hadopi, even though I had taken measures initially to secure it, I'd still be responsible for what happened after someone broke in. Not cool.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote