View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Y'know, I don't think this iteration provides enough legal review to protect the accused, especially given potential issues with wireless AP's. But I'm having a hard time viewing this law as Pure Unadulterated Evil. Why should I feel sympathy for you, if you're infringing enough copyright for someone to enter repeated complaints, and you receive multiple warnings, and keep doing it anyway?

E.g. violating the speed limit by 10 mph isn't a big deal, but get caught enough times and they'll suspend your license, yes?
Because there's absolutely no due process or chance to defend yourself? You are assumed guilty merely by the accusation. This is a lot different than getting caught or pulled over for doing 10 mph over the speed limit by the cops. This is your neighbor accusing you of going 10 mph over, and then getting your license revoked.

If someone is violating copyright, they should be taken to court just like any other crime. What is so special about copyright violations that there should be special laws put into place in order to side step the whole trial process.

The reason the content industry is pushing so hard for these laws is that actually proving that someone violated copyright and providing evidence to back it up are way too difficult. It's much easier if you can strong arm governments into shutting people down without having to go through all of that "innocent until proven guilty" nonsense.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote