View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #3257
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Touchscreen can lower screen clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If Astak is still planning on releasing a touchscreen device, I hope that they do not follow Sony's direction of sacrificing screen clarity/contrast for touchscreen capability.

Just my opinion.
Dear John:

Well said. We all have talked in this thread many times on this problem. The situation is as follows:

1. The lack of clarity is caused by putting another layer of plastic on the very top of the screen (over the E-Ink) to provide the TouchScreen. I have heard that it decreases the reflectivity and clarity by about 30%.
2. There are a few technologies that seem to get around this by putting the TouchScreen under the E-Ink but they add to the cost (more expensive than traditional TouchScreen.
3. Our factories are working on the problem and TouchScreen devices are due to be released. I have no idea yet whether they will go traditional or employ the more expensive technology.
4. IF they go the new technology there is a problem. The average person will not CARE that it has the new technology... they will just think they are being overcharged! YOU would know we did the right thing; but others will not. Cost, as you know, is a major factor on eBook Readers. Look at the Pocket PRO... a drop in price of only $30 caught the attention of the press.
5. I have heard that the difference in cost between under the E-Ink and Over the E-Ink is about $40 (not firm yet).
6. One of the reasons for TouchScreen is it (sometimes) allows note-taking to be employed.