View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #40
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
Andybaby,
Thanks for the list ::bookmarked::

Curious - how many of the foundation books have you read? Just the first one? (i see you gave it 4/5 stars, where you gave 5 stars to my other favorites: dune, enders game, ringworld, mote in gods eye). It seems you and I have almost identical taste in sci-fi, with the exception that i may be a bit more obsessed with asimov. If you havent read the first 3 foundation books, I'd add them to your to-do list . The first foundation, for me, was right about 4/5 stars as well. I got done and said 'yeah, that was pretty good. not sure what the big fuss was all about though'. Then I finished the second book, and tried to peel my brains off the wall. Same thing with the third book. Everything from the first book doesnt really reach maturity until the next 2 books.

Feel free to disregard this, of course, if you have read them and just didnt like them as much
If I read it I would put it on the list, its mostly complete, but I occasionally run into a book I know I read and isn't on the list.

I have yet to read them, and of course the entire series is on my to read list. unfortunately Asimov hasn't hit me as an author that I love yet and have to read yet, especially when I find myself disliking robot books. Foundation and the Empire is on my reader already. Also due to the fact that it takes place over many years and many characters. It doesn't especially make me want to "see where the character goes" it also falls into the short story collection area, where I feel cheated in short stories more often than not, I prefer novel/novella length stories following a single character or group.

Thanks for reminding me about the series though, It just made it to the Near top of the list.

The Second Dune book is on my top read list too, but though I started reading it almost 5 times, I havent made it past the prologue. again due to the fact that it doesn't share too many characters in common with the previous book.

I find it hard to classify my books, as I like alot of what I read to get less than 3 means it left a bad taste in my mouth,

0.5 stars 1
1 stars 1
1.5 stars 1
2 stars 1
2.5 stars 4
3 stars 18
3.5 stars 15
4 stars 25
4.5 stars 11
5 stars 12
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote