View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I know you're an LO fan, but what makes you say it's "better than" Word?

Hitch
Only for certain tasks. And I my most recent MS Word is 2007 (with Classic Menu plugin to avoid Ribbon).
I find getting up navigation & style browser windows easier. Also doesn't have the same bugs (the last line before page break in Word if you don't add extra return & delete it).

I've used Wordstar, NewWord, Wordperfect, MS Word for DOS, and Word for Windows from maybe 1992 to 2014. I used to sell MS Office etc. I'd used Star/Sun Office, Open Office and Libre office on and off before 100% switch to about LO Writer 5.2. I'm on 6.x now.

I used to teach Wordprocessing, DTP, Windows Admin, MS Office use etc.

Certainly if you need to regularly exchange wp files you need to use the same version (or compatible enough) of MS Office. Reading MS Office files or writing them with LibreOffice is not just import/export, but conversion.

Then because I'd 100% changed to LO I was able to 100% migrate to Linux rather than the dual boot I'd had with various NT and Linux since about 1998 (NT 4.0 & Red Hat then, later XP and Ubuntu, last was Win7 & Linux Mint)

I've looked at other writing packages over the years.

If I was still working in Tech and doing project proposals, manuals etc and in a team, I'd have to use Word.

But now I write for me. I only print to ebook. My wife uses most of the colour duplex laser consumables.

Also I only write or edit novels or reformat web pages.

I do have a legal Word 2007 on WINE and Word XP on one VM (clone of my 2002 laptop) and Word 2003 on a different VM. Don't need them. They now seem awkward.

I've used the horrid Google Docs and Online MS Office.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-07-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote