View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rather than cloning the disk you could get a NAS box and have it mirror the drive. For example, the Asustore AS5202T, $300 at amazon (according to an article in PC Mag). And that $300 doesn't include the drives. Even more fancy would be their 4 drive NAS and set it up to use raid 5; you need a minimum of 3 drives for raid 5 and you get the space of 2/3s of their combined space (i.e., you effectively lose the space of one of them that's used for the backup data, but it's scattered across all 3 drives).

Probably a less expensive option would be to revive that old PC and install OpenMediaVault (free, open source) on it. I've yet to sit down and study it and see what all OMV provides. I'm assuming it will also do raid so you could buy 3 new drives to hook up to it and away you go.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote