Thread: Resizing covers
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can do everything you want in the eBook editor. You do not need steps 1c-1d.

What I do is if the cover is not hi-res, I find a hi-res cover if possible. If I have to find a cover, I copy the cover to the clipboard and pust it over the existing cover using Calibre's editor. I reduce the cover to 1600 lines and then I recompress the images losslessly. I select to recompress at 80. That works rather well. It reduces the size of the graphics and keeps the quality well enough for eInk. 300px wide is not large enough (IMHO).
What about the problem of the image used in the Edit Metadata dialog reappearing and replacing the one in the book, which happens if I touch the metadata in any way but forget to set the cover image to the one in the book? The external metadata settings seem to override the metadata stored in the book, and the book also gets updated to match.

Ideally I'd prefer not to have to edit the book at all, but just the metadata... for example, I can replace the cover entirely by pasting a new cover onto the Book Details pane, and that image then automagically appears in the book as well. But resizing the existing cover is a completely different kettle of very bony fish.

(Personally I find 300px acceptable for display on a Kindle, but obviously YMMV.)

Last edited by Phssthpok; 01-24-2020 at 12:11 PM.