View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #194
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceWonder View Post
I NEVER EFFING SAID TO USE SOFT HYPHENS.

I SPECIFICALLY SAID I DO NOT LIKE THEM.

I SPECIFICALLY SAID THEY VIOLATE THE CONCEPT OF KEEPING LAYOUT AND DESIGN SEPARATE AND I SAID IT SEVERAL EFFING TIMES.

ARE YOU JUST A TROLL LOOKING TO ANGER ME? IT'S WORKING.

THE ISSUE WITH SOFT HYPHENS WAS NEVER THAT I WANTED TO USE THEM.

THE ISSUE IS THAT WHEN READERS DO NOT INCLUDE WHAT HAS BEEN A STANDARD GLYPH SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE INTERNET, HOW CAN I EXPECT THEY WILL INCLUDE OTHER STANDARD GLYPHS LIKE 1/3 AND 2/3 THAT ARE PART OF WGLS4?

WILL THEY HAVE THE U+1F310 GLYPH THAT IS FREQUENTLY USED TO INDICATE A LINK IS TO AN EXTERNAL SITE ON SYSTEMS (LIKE EPUB READERS) WHERE TITLE ATTRIBUTE DOESN'T RESULT IN A TOOL TIP FROM A MOUSE OVER?

I DOUBT IT.
I have seen cases where the soft-hyphen displayed every time. It was not a case of not having the character. It was a case of the software not handling soft hyphens correctly.

I've just tested n ePub with soft-hphens with ADE 2.0.1. The text looked OK, but I cannot search for words with a soft hyphen.

Quote:
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS FIXATION IS ON NOT EMBEDDING A FONT WHEN USERS CAN TURN OFF PUBLISHER FONTS IF THEY DO NOT LIKE THEM.
Not every program can override an embedded font. There are a lot of older Readers out there. Some do not support fonts. Some will not override an embedded font. So if your font does not work (i.e., maybe too light on eInk), the user is stuck with it.

Quote:
AND THE ISSUE WITH THE ABBR TAG IS THAT A USER WHO NEEDS THAT ACCESSIBILITY ISN'T GOING TO BE USING PIECE OF SHIT READER THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT IT, THEY WILL BE USING A READER THAT DOES SUPPORT IT - SUCH AS A WEB BROWSER.
<abbr> does work in the Calibre viewer. It does not work in ADE 2.0.1. But it does not cause a problem with the display. So in most cases, I would think it would either work or not work with no display issues.

Quote:
BUT YOU WANT TO DENY THEM THE ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES THEY NEED BECAUSE YOU WANT AN EPUB TO WORK IN A PIECE OF SHIT READER THAT IS TOO STUPID TO JUST IGNORE A TAG IT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

YOU WANT TO REDUCE ACCESSIBILITY FOR THE BENEFIT OF CRAPWARE.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU JUSTIFY THAT?
We are not trying to deny anyone accessibility features. The problem is, if you put in features what most software won't handle, then that can make it worse. What you need to have is a collection of Readers with different software and older software versions for testing (aka ADE 2.0.1). Then you can see what the accessibility code will or will not do on a variety of devices/software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote