View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Safe way to update older Kobos?

I'm not sure of the status on some of my older Kobos for upgrading. Ones I bought for my brother were returned to me (he's decided to go "all in" with his Nooks and Kindles (mostly Nooks) — he doesn't want to use Calibre and the Kobo was just an "extra" option he didn't "need"). So, at this point, I own two of the old Kobo WiFi devices (which can't be upgraded and aren't a problem), two Kobo Minis (both currently at 3.19.5761 (which was the newest available firmware at the time, I think), two Kobo Touches (N905 and N905B) and a Kobo Touch 2.0 — which isn't a problem, it just upgraded itself to a newer (not newest) version, so I don't think it will be an issue upgrading to the newest firmware (might have to change the affiliate).

My main worries are the two Minis and the N905 Touch (which I had purposely kept at an older release because I liked it looking the same as my Mini (so I think it's at 3.19.xxxx, can't check right now, battery needs charging). I think the N905B was at a high enough release that it won't be a problem, but not absolutely sure. At this point I want to get everything completely updated (if I can do so without bricking them). What's the best way to do this? If I remember right, the Minis can no longer update online (or something like that). I think if the Touch was not updated, it would brick after a certain date. It seems like I remember the work-around involved using Kobo software on the computer.

It's been a while since I've done anything with the Kobos. Sorry for my ignorance. Any pointers or guidelines would be helpful. Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote