View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthd View Post
Hi,
I belong to a volunteer group who produces ebooks from public domain material and have done thousands. We have been using Calibre to convert to different formats.

My question is to do with metadata. We have found that a number of volunteers are adding metadata for creator (the original author) in the format "firstname lastname" and a number in the format "lastname, firstname". And then some will be an organisation.

We have realised that we don't actually know which is correct and works best in keeping our users happy.

I note that Calibre lists the Author as 'firstname lastname' but sorts on the last name.

Once we establish which is correct, we than have to work out how (or whether) to fix the existing books. As they are in our own database, we would need a way to do it in bulk and put it back in our database. But first, we need to know what should be our standard. I have tried to research the Dublin Core preference, but it is unclear.

Help in clarifying would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think there is a definitive right way in calibre, its entirely up to the user. But if there are multiple users, as in your case, it is important they all do record the author name in the same way.

I prefer to sort author names primarily on an author's family name, but I enter and display them with given names first. In calibre parlance that's 'LN, FN' for the sort name. But that doesn't always work - e.g. I want sort names such as "Berners Lee, Timothy", not "Lee, Timothy Berners" and "Garcia Lopez, Christina" not "Lopez, Christina Garcia".

Because it's keyboard navigable I prefer to make adjustments to the display and sort values in the Manage Authors list rather than in the Tag Browser tree - same goes for Tags, Series, Publishers etc.

In the case of Authors there's also an Author Link field in the Manage Authors list; you might be able to use it to directly associate an Author in calibre to an Author your other database. Then when you click an Author name in calibre's Book Details panel the other application would pop its "Author" record/page/note whatever.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote