View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
[...] I guess my issue is more about the attitude, the cavalier shrugging off of proofing/editing, than the end results being variable. God knows, it's probably quite difficult for even a well-intentioned author to find and pay for a competent editor, in this publishing world as it is now. Every Tom, Dick and Harriet hangs out a shingle, with no education + zero experience, claiming to be a proofreader or editor. I mean, want to entertain yourself? Randomly look around for 10 "editors" and read the purported credentials on their blogs. Know how many list them? Not 2 out of 100. [...]
I do understand the frustration of viewing (or in your case dealing with) the great unwashed masses of text. I suspect the fear is that any suggestion of leniency with regard to editing will be taken as: "Uh-ah! I told you I didn't need an editor." There's not a lot you can do about that.

I haven't sussed out U.S.A., but in Australia there are editor associations where you can find lists of actually qualified editors - though whether they are qualified or available for your sort of writing is left for the writer to research. An editor is someone you have to be comfortable working with, so you want to shop around. I suggest having a stock of short stories to let you try out different editors until you find one you like.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote