View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #183
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
This is what kills me at a visceral level with Amazon at this point. The fact that they have an amazing shipping system, but that what Prime actually is, is them not intentionally sitting on an order for 5 days before they ship it the exact way the would have any how.

Instead of paying to get something good, it feels like you are paying to avoid having an extra bad step added. Sure there may be good economic arguments for this, but it feels like cheap coercion.

My other personal quibble with Prime is that I have difficulty in my major metro area getting items that Amazon delivers with its own carriers (they often cannot access my apartment complex and thus do not leave the package. UPS, USPS deliveries have no problem. But they also cannot/will not set it to deliver thu those carriers, so I end up having most items delivered to one of those pick up boxes they have scattered throughout town, which isn't much more convenient than going to a brick and mortar. Actually, probably less convenient than ordering through Target for me personally.

So I am a former Prime member who for the last few years has used the monthly subscription option each December for Xmas shopping and then promptly cancelled. Much as I subscribe to HBO each year for GOT, binge a couple other shows as well, and then bid them adieu for a while.
Sorry--what do you mean when you say, "...with its own carriers"?

The other thing I would point out is that prior to the existence of Amazon, there was a standard admonition on pretty much every single thing on earth that you (then by mail) ordered, "allow 4-8 weeks for shipping and handling." It's only been since the advent of Amazon, really, that this obsession with instant gratification seems to have run amok. (And without the prior existence of FedEx, which is also a fairly recent innovation of the last century, would never have come to fruition, either.)

When I order from other companies, quite often, they take a week to 10 days to fill an order--and you can see people whining about it all over the Net. To me, it's mind-boggling.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote