View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I buy literally hundreds of books in ePub format (from Baen), convert them to AZW3 format in Calibre, and send them to my Kindle via USB.
I'm going to have to do some searching on this website to find how you and others organize this many books on your Kindles. Organization in Caliber on my PC is easy and flexible. On my Nook ST, not so much. You have bookshelves, but they're a real pain to maintain. I have found no way to use Calibre to assist in Nook ST shelving.

I will have to learn the Kindle way of doing things via Collections. I am just starting to research this. The problem is, you find all kinds of differing information via Google searches. I think this probably has to do with older models, different firmwares, and who knows what else. One person says you can't use collections for non-Amazon books. Another says you have to jailbreak the device to use come Calibre plug-in. Another says the newest firmware cannot be jailbroken. Someone else says it can be.

I will search this website for tips on how to organize. Or if anyone has any links to this already, I'd love to see them.

My original plan was to keep my library on my PC using Calibre, and then only download a small number of books to my old Nook ST or my new PaperWhite. A small number of books would not require organization. Over time I would be frequently using Calibre to remove and add books to the client device(s). Since I don't read that fast, and don't really have a need for all of my book collection to be on a client device at one time, this plan may work fine for me. But still, I'd like to know how others organize their large collections on a client device.

Jeez - you learn/buy one new thing, and then you have to go research fifteen additional topics to figure out how to use it efficiently. All the while you are having to do battle with Amazon/B&N/Google who each want to keep you locked into their ecosystems, and appear to be doing everything possible to make your life miserable for trying to use other retailers/suppliers. Such is life I guess...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote