View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
ThirdGen
ThirdGen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It used to be that Kindle re-paginated all the time when you jumped to a new location. That was a problem, because it is a waste of computing power, and can be dis-orienting to readers. No doubt it still does this on older Kindles. Now jumps do not generally force re-pagination. You're only guaranteed that the location you are jumping to is somewhere on the page you wind up on.

One downside of the newer behavior is that there is no way to coerce repagination, e.g., to un-orphan an orphaned header or image caption (short of changing font or something like that). I used to do this by selecting the orphan, then 'Search this book' and select it in the search results, thereby jumping to the thing I'd selected, which would then be at the top of the page. But that in turn was just a workaround for the lack of orphan control. I don't think Kindle platform supports 'orphan' CSS, and certainly does not have heuristics to prevent orphans. Maybe some ePub systems do.
Ah, gotcha - I think it was my 4th generation kindle where I did see this behavior that I was asking about...interesting to hear that Amazon has turned it off. It seems like there are more and more things that I'm missing about the older Kindles.
ThirdGen is offline   Reply With Quote