View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a question about battery drain but not specifically about WiFi battery drain, however WiFi battery drain is the largest element of the issue I am raising below. I hope that's okay.

I've read that batteries in these devices have a lifespan of only ~300 charge/discharge cycles.This is probably adequate for most of you, but I like to keep things, even personal electronics, a much longer than average time, so I am wondering about the following:

I use my Kindle and Fire at home about 80% of the time. If I run them on their batteries there all the time, I estimate that the premature cause of death of the devices will be battery death. I'm not into cracking cases to replace batteries in sealed units. The batteries will also gradually lose their ability to hold a charge before becoming totally useless, so when I do take them with me when I travel, they would need more frequent recharging.

However what is the effect on the battery if the devices are left on their chargers all the time when at home, even when fully charged? It is only slightly less convenient having them attached to a USB cable.

Are there any negative effects from doing this? Does the juice to power a fully charged and plugged-in device come first from the charger (sparing the battery) or does it drain the battery first which then promptly is topped-off by the charger? My hypothesis for doing this is that the battery is effectively not being drained when the device is plugged into a power supply. However that's a guess based only on a hunch.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote