Thread: EPUB vs AZW3
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Hello,

From the "inside" (i.e. from within an editor) AZW3 ebooks look very similar to EPUBs. Same code, same files, more or less. EPUBs have a "content.opf" file, whereas the one in the AZW3 is called "metadata.opf", but they are very similar too.

So what are differences between the two? What does a converter do? I know that simply changing the extension won't work, but it doesn't seem to be much more complicated.

I got a feeling the answer might be very technical, but I'm willing to study

Thanks,

i
There are no "files" inside a binary azw3. That's the main differnce. Any editor has extracted the records from the binary database and put them into files and arranged/presented them in the manner you see (either that, or you're actually looking at the source EPUB that's included with Kindlegen's output). Conversion is a rather large undertaking, actually. The binary headers must be constructed, the content put into records and all links converted from hrefs/ids to physical offsets. AZW3s are more like epubs in structure than regular-old mobi to be sure. But what you're looking at in an editor is not the "inside" of an AZW3. It's the conversion of the KF8 format into a familiar OEBPS structure that you can then tweak and rebuild.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-31-2015 at 11:03 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote