View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Does any of the early adopters plan to hack into the iLiad?
Has anybody got some development tools, or some trick about how to do it?
I think that development will have to wait until they release the SDK

First of all, we need to know:
- if the iliad uses uclibc or the complete glibc
- (optional) if the processor has floating point unit or not, and if it hasn't, what type of emulation is used (in-kernel fp emulation or soft-float compiled binaries)
- how to install new "viewers"
- what display "driver" they are using; I doubt they use an X server, it makes more sense for them to use something along the lines of FBDev.

The main limitaion right now is how to inject a new executable into the iliad and try it (if there is a security hole as in the librie and we can exec scripts in the SD/CF).

And after all, they should publish all this information with the SDL (one has to be able to test his viewer...).

BTW: I'm eager to start programming for the iliad. I've plenty of experience programming for small embedded linux platforms (for in-house use, but that includes gui and gui-less programs for the zaurus SL-5500 w/ SharpROM, ipaq w/ familiar, Zaurus SL-6000L w/ SharpROM, WRT54G w/OpenWRT, Asus WL-550g w/ Oleg Firmware), and it boils down to having a good crosscompiler toolchain and some patience to iron the bugs that appear when executing your app in the resource-starved embedded linux ;-).

The fact that the iliad will have an SDK has been a deciding factor for me (although the other contenders will have linux, programming for them will be a chore for some time until someone manages to "open" them... and I don't have the time nor the knowledge to do that myself -- well, perhaps some of the knowledge, but I'm sure not all that's needed (hey, I have my ego high today ))

Nice to know there are other developers waiting for their Iliads
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote