View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #74
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Kaje View Post
Hi people,

I'm new around here so if my question is not appropriate in this thread, please let me know and I'll delete or move it.

Last few days I have been seriously considering buying an Icarus Illumina E653. I tested it thoroughly in a store nearby and was very pleased with all the functions: great epub support, pdf reflow seems to work well (with annotations and all), backlight is fine (despite the slight bleeding on the lower part of the screen), and last but not least, a clear way of organizing your files in folders - something I haven't seen on other devices yet.

However, I have one main concern, which has also been discussed in the posts above: the Illumina's battery life. I noticed that Android (with its consequent apps) drains the battery way faster than ereaders without such an operating system. I even read that on standby mode, you may have to recharge it every 3 to 4 days, which I think is hardly acceptable.

I was wondering if someone on these forums has considerable experience with this. For me, an indecent battery life may be a dealbreaker - which is a shame since the variety of functions seems to be satisfying all my other needs. My plan is to use as few apps as possible and have wifi off practically always. How long would the Illumina hold out this way, always leaving it on standby mode and not turning it off completely?

I know that turning off the device saves battery life significantly, though I'm afraid I will be annoyed by the constant booting time. Is it true that booting the Illumina takes about 30 seconds - and could this be more depending on the amount of books you put on it?

I hope someone can help me with this to take this last piece of doubt away. I have no real alternative - the Kobo Aura seems okay, though I do not like the way it organizes your files and the fact that it doesn't support pdf reflow (if I understand correctly).

Thanks a bunch!
I have a T62 and it's great so far. The T62 is almost the same as the E653 but more storage and bigger battery. It also has a problem of the battery going too quickly but it's much better than the T68 which I returned because of multiple defects and a lot of people have had problems with it. The T68 also uses a lot of battery.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote