View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #691
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Your software is in many respects great ( v 2.14): it solved my major problem, by allowing to open my books very fast, once converted.
As to the large size, I can probably live with it, but now I seem to have another problem cropping up: the software often crashes in the midst of the conversion for no known reasons. It works 50% of the time !
Concerning the settings, I only checked the box for color output and OCR ( Tesseract). The rest are unchecked. I don't know what " reflow text", " native PDF output" and " OCR Tesseract " do, but I am hesitant to check them, because as they are they do not affect the conversion ( when it doesn't crash!). I was afraid that by checking " native PDF" and unchecking " OCR", I'd fall back into the problem I had before using your software, i.e. scanned PDF images too slow( or impossible) to open and not allowing font control or other.
Perhaps you can explain briefly what " native PDF", " reflow text" and " OCR Tesseract" do and give me some hints as to why the software crashes so often?

Thanks

Ittiandro
By default, k2pdfopt will try to re-flow your text lines if they are too wide for the device, but re-flow cannot be done in native PDF output mode. To use native PDF, you should pick a mode (mode selection is in a pull-down at the upper left of the GUI). Either pick fit-width or 2-column (if there are multiple columns). Native is good for when the PDF is not a scanned PDF and uses internal fonts (you can tell if it's native by zooming in on the document to a very large size and see if the text stays sharp). Please see the k2pdfopt help pages for more information, e.g. the native-mode page and the OCR page.

Also, I have sent you a private message--I'd like to diagnose your crash. Please check your private messages.

Last edited by willus; 01-09-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo fix
willus is offline   Reply With Quote