View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But as we've said, an ebook is NOT a paper book, and treating as though it is one is a business model that simply doesn't work. eBooks don't degrade with repeated use, and it's not economically viable for publishers to sell "books that remain brand new forever" to libraries at the same price as they sell them to individuals. A portion of the library price of a paper book is mandated by the fact that it wears out and has to be replaced.
To be honest Harry I 've never seen a book degrade to the point of being unusable before the library actually decides to sell it second hand. And if someone actually damages a book to the extent that it is unusable the library have them replace it.

I find it offensive that publishers think they can just push data out of a server (and for that matter data that is a dwarfs size compared to serving music, let alone video) to a library and then to users and demand multiple licences per book, on a book read each time by one person.

But I respect your opinion and I could quite possibly be wrong with my take here.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote