View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely because digital media don't degrade. The publisher has decided that because an ebook is "eternal", and hence a library would otherwise only ever buy one copy of the book, compared to a paper book, which degrades with each loan, that they will either charge a premium price, or else limit the number of loans. I'm not saying that I think this is right, but from a commercial viewpoint it is entirely understandable.

To use your analogy, the car rental company is paying a premium for cars which are eternally brand new.
Irrelevant. Things change, media is different. There is no 'premium' for CDs over Vinyl or for Audio over print or ....

It's just more bs from the publishers.

The sooner we can get rid of the dinosaurs and move into Monkey's brave new world the better.

P.S. I don't often agree with Cory as I think he's something of a blowhard and rabble rouser in many cases, but in this I'm in agreement with him and with the ALA.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-04-2013 at 06:45 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote